A post on Generation Rent by Alex Hilton explains an easy way to implement a National Register of Landlords.
The national register is simple, and it would be used by local authority housing enforcement teams.
- All tenancies are required to be registered.
- Local enforcement teams log their landlord enforcement actions.
- The system automatically alerts any authority where that “dodgy” landlord has registered a tenancy of a list of properties in that authority where that landlord operates.
- Authorities prioritise this list for inspection.
- Authorities compile a list of properties where no one is registered to vote or where there are council tax arrears and deletes from the list all known social tenured homes.
- Authorities delete from the list all registered private tenancies.
- Authorities prioritise this list for inspection as they are highly likely to be unregistered private tenancies.
Due to the implementation of a blanket licensing scheme in Newham, that authority has been able to focus its enforcement resources using the information detailed above. Furthermore, they are recouping an estimated £1.3 million in previously unpaid Council Tax.
See More….and sign the petition….
Let’s implement a national register of landlords
“….The growth of the private rented sector in the last 20 years has seen a huge rise in amateur landlords across Britain. Currently 72% of landlords rent out just one property and 88% rent out less than three properties; furthermore, the huge majority are not part of professional industry bodies or accreditation schemes. Due to the lack of regulation in the sector, though, these figures remain estimates – the government does not actually know how many landlords are currently operating in the country…..” (Generation Rent)
Help bring about change by signing our petition for a fairer and more regulated private rented housing sector……The more support we have, the greater chance we have of succeeding. You can reach the petition by clicking on the image below:-
Living Rent Petition – Support by signing!
….let’s continue and really show the MPs how important housing is.Let’
Help bring about change by signing our Petition for a fairer and more regulated private rented housing sector……The more support we can get behind it, the better chance we have of succeeding. You can sign the petition here:
Please share the petition too!